A forum for anyone interested in shetland sheepdogs (shelties)

SHELTIE LOST BURGESS HILL AREA 10/09/11

SheilaR
Open
Open

SHELTIE LOST BURGESS HILL AREA 10/09/11

Post by SheilaR on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 13:00

Golden Sable & white male 2yrs old answers to FINN. microchipped

YESTERDAY WHILST OUT WALKING WITH HIS OWNERS IN THE WOODS A LARGE LURCHER TYPE RAN AND ATTACKED FINN THEN JUMPED UP AT HIS OWNER WHO FELL OVER AND LET GO OF THE LEAD. FINN RAN OFF WITH HIS LEAD ATTACHED.
THE OWNER OF THE LURCHER WHO ALSO HAD A SMALLER DOG ON A LEAD THEN CALLED THE LURCHER AND WALKED AWAY scared2

THE AREA IS NEAR JUNCTION RD AND CANTS HILL

MANY PEOPLE ARE ALREADY OUT SEARCHING AND IT HAS BEEN POSTED ON DOGSLOST AND FACEBOOK

CONTACT EITHER JANET ON 01903 746235 OR ROSALIND ON 01403 733549
Claire N

Re: SHELTIE LOST BURGESS HILL AREA 10/09/11

Post by Claire N on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 13:18

Very upsetting - hope the poor little chap is found soon
Mistvale
Open
Open

Post by Mistvale on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 13:20

How upsetting. The woman who own's the lurcher should be ashamed of herself. I really hope that Finn is found very soon.
clare
Open
Open

Post by clare on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 14:29

I have passed on the info to my friends in that area that own farms and stables, etc.

Clare. tricolor gallop blue gallop
Pat Wallis

Post by Pat Wallis on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 14:34

Oh deear I do hope he is found soon. It is amazing how these people can just walk away from something like this. How do they sleep at night.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Claire N

Post by Claire N on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 14:53

Pat Wallis wrote: It is amazing how these people can just walk away from something like this. How do they sleep at night.

Had exactly the same sort of reaction from the owner of a large schnauzer who went for Kerrie last year - Kerrie screaming her head off and the woman just calmly walked on - not a word! We were dumbstruck! affraid madangry
clare
Open
Open

Post by clare on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 15:50

I have just spoken to Chloe Bunn who's family own Hickstead Showground and she is emailing the info to all her staff and people she knows - so that will cover most of the land, farms and stables in the area.

Clare. tricolor gallop blue gallop
Angela Evans
Open
Open

Post by Angela Evans on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 15:54

It really is getting too frightening to take your dogs out, only yesterday my old girl Meg who will be thirteen next birthday was knocked of her feet by a great big crossbreed dog it then bowled my little merle over and jumped on Meg again, who by then looked terrified and yelped" I screamed at the woman (and I mean screamed to get the dog under control) she just looked at me and said "keep your hair on it's only a puppy and wants to play" and walked off with the dog. I do hope that they find that little sheltie soon it must be so awful for the owner.

Angela
SheilaR
Open
Open

Post by SheilaR on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 20:59

Sadly no good news today dispite many people being out looking and posters put up.

Hopefully better news tomorrow
Luds
Admin
Admin

Post by Luds on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 21:54

We've become very "unsociable" dog walkers and only take ours to busy places at unsociable times where you are likely to meet "good" dog owners who take their dogs out early or go to barely frequented parks around our town. I'm fed up of having to put up with other people's off the lead dogs. Don't mind those of calmly walk to us, have a snif and walk off but why you would let a dog off the lead when you know it will come agressively or bouncing over to other dogs, i'll never understand!
Hope this little one is found soon - if the sheltie owner gets herself checked out by a doctor for bruises, she might have a case to claim against the other owner for having a dog out of control in a public area!!
How would those people feel if I went running up to them and jumped all over them? They certainly wouldn't be happy even if I only meant to hug them!!!!

This really makes my blood boil - rant over!
Keeping my fingers crossed this little sheltie gets found soon- if he's got his lead on, he might tangle himself up in bushes as well! crying

~~~~~~~~~~~
Luds star
www.fleurdemai.weebly.com

QuitoshadesableBouba shadesableLuna tricolorSandie goldsable
seashel
Open
Open

Post by seashel on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 22:02

Angela Evans wrote:It really is getting too frightening to take your dogs out,

I know just what you mean Angela. Last week an elderly friend of mine had her little Shih Tzu attacked by a Malamute who grabbed him round the neck and shook him. He was very very lucky not to have been killed but as it is, was very bruised and shaken with a puncture wound and his collar ripped off. He is far more subdued than normal and this happened outside the village shop while both dogs were on leads. The same lady has repeatedly been knocked down by people's boisterous dogs barging into her and the owners will NOT see that even if their dog is only playing, it's still a liability and could cause serious injury! madangry

I do so hope this little sheltie is found soon. It must be really dreadful for the owner crying
SheilaR
Open
Open

Post by SheilaR on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 09:22

GREAT NEWS FINN HAS BEEN FOUND cheers yipee clap

goldwell
Maiden
Maiden

Good News

Post by goldwell on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:13

Finn was found 8.30 this morning he is O/K

Keith and Jacky
Goldwell Shelties
Sheltieuk
Graduate
Graduate

Post by Sheltieuk on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:14

Excellent news. clap
susan
Limit
Limit

Post by susan on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:14

I'm happy to hear Finn has been found.

I know what you mean ladies regarding unsocialable dogs and handlers, who persist in letting their dogs off the leader, where the handler can't control their dogs,they ought to be on a leader at all times, in cases muzzeled.

Which brings me to an awful incident, that happened to Jarvis ( the dog in the photo) last year I was walking my two dogs,around a housing estate near by, suddenly from afar I could see a staffi, off the leader with two young men,the staffi ran up to Jarvis, started to pounce on him,it all happened so quickly, Jarvis was terrified, slipped out of his collor,Jarvis was running around on the road ( it's a quiet estate, in a cul de sac) I made all attemps to catch him, the two men just stood and watched, not once did they ask their dog to come,The staffi held Jarvis down on the ground, it was absolutely horrifying to hear him squeel as the staffi was biting him,I had my other dog Teddie on a leader, I was hysterical,somehow, how I will never know, managed to push the staffi aside, and picked Jarvis up, his face was bleeding, he was very badly shaken, whineing. It was only then that the two men put the dog on a leader,( they gave no appologies)meanwhile I was carrying Jarvis as fast as I could, home, to get help to take him to the Vets.Jarvis was lucky, in a way, the staffi had just missed biting his eye, as there was a cut so close, he had no fur left, down his muzzle was cut, again no fur, he had a small bite under his neck. My Daughter got such a shock, as anyone would when she saw her dog, she couldn't take him out walking as she has ongoing problems with the leg, had a recent foot reconstruction.Thankfully a neigbour was in, she kindly took jarvis to the Vets, we also took Teddie as he was more Shaken than than Jarvis.
turned out jarvis was going to be ok, antibiotics were given, and an injection for the pain, the Vet cleaned him up.
The Vet said his fur would never grow back, however a lovely breeder of ours, told us once the cuts were healed to put BOb grass on,it worked a treat, and now you can't tell, the fur has fully grown.
We took Jarvis back to the Vets for a check up a few days later, he was fine, the Vet and Nurse were saying that was the second incident that week with a staffi, though it's not just staffis, it can be any breed.
I reported the incident to the Police, they did not want to know, they told me "Dogs fight", made my blood boil.
I was so nervous taking my dogs out after that, Jarvis is a hardy dog, showed no signs of nervousness,Teddie now protects his big brother, and barks when he sees another dog, when we go walking, we had to try and train both Teddie and our new puppy, not to bark when they see another dog passing, in case it antagonises the other dog, many a time I had to explain to other, handlers why my dogs were being so hostile towards their dog. When I told them, most understood, they even let our dogs come up to theirs when ours settled down.

I agree it's time the handlers took responsibility to look after their dogs, keep them in control.

Susan
Claire N

Post by Claire N on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:28

So pleased the lttle chap has been found clap

What an upsetting incident for you Susan crying

Like Luds has said I'm very anti-social walking my dogs now (I'm often out at 7am - lovely when it's nice weather) - we don't use the walk where the incident with the schnauzer happened (three times was enough for me!) but I have got a walk where the girls can be off the lead and the only other dogs I'm likely to meet are people I know and who understand what happened to Kerrie.
Karmidale
Open
Open

Post by Karmidale on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:44

Fantastic news especially as the weather is set to worsen
evita0_8
Open
Open

Post by evita0_8 on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 10:52

clap clap So pleased Finn is found. tissue Susan I feel for you and Jarvis. So glad that he is improving. Made my blood boil when I read 'dogs will fight' So do some people and hopefully they get sorted out. I bet the owner of that staffi that attacked your Jarvis are the sort that get into trouble so if the police went to see them after their dog done this they might of solved another crime. Sorry I know not all staffi owners are like this, I know some very nice staffis who have very nice owners. It is the bad owners that give these dogs a bad name. Many of them are really very loveable. Sorry rant over.

Denise
Stephanie
Open
Open

Post by Stephanie on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 13:17

Excellent news about Finn.

So sorry to read about your terrifying event Susan.

Stephanie shadesable
Mistvale
Open
Open

Post by Mistvale on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 15:04

Wonderful to hear that Finn has been found.
Beechmere
Graduate
Graduate

Post by Beechmere on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:36

So pleased he has been found
Marlene
satriblue
Graduate
Graduate

Post by satriblue on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 08:41

I am glad that this poor chap has been found. Thanks Sheila for keeping us updated
Diane
Puppy
Puppy

Post by Diane on Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:54

I have only just logged in. My first reation was of horror, after scrolling down was so delighted that Finn had been found,what an ordeal.Also reading the other stories, we had such an awful experience with a staffie and our old dog Charlie, Vet bills, my husband ending up in an ambalance and hospital I also had to go to hospital, fortunately we were all ok in the end. The Police were not at all interested, which may my blood boil. Lots of cuddles to Finn. tricolor gallop
Shaun
Maiden
Maiden

Post by Shaun on Fri 02 Dec 2011, 19:38

As part owner of "Oddoggs" kennel,we were upset to hear about Finn.

However,as we were away on holiday in Gloucestershire we were uable to help with the search.I know that a lot of people were out looking for him.

Glad he is back home and recovering.

Shaun from Burgess Hill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 17:37