A forum for anyone interested in shetland sheepdogs (shelties)

Asking for the breeding of dogs

Luds
Admin
Admin

Asking for the breeding of dogs

Post by Luds on Fri 11 Feb 2011, 17:10

We're all very interested in pedigrees and rightly so :yes: BUT can I just ask that we respect the owner's decision if they decide not to publish the breeding on the forums? It is ENTIRELY up to them and they shouldn't feel they HAVE to do so if they don't want to. :awful:
Thank you for your understanding,

:yes:

~~~~~~~~~~~
Luds star 
www.fleurdemai.weebly.com

Quito shadesable  Bouba  shadesable  Luna  tricolor Sandie goldsable
Chrissy
Limit
Limit

Re: Asking for the breeding of dogs

Post by Chrissy on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 08:50

I agree Luds

As a pet owner I am still interested in pedigrees but respect individuals right to privacy if they wish. That is why the "excellent private email facility" on the forum is so useful.
I am sure any genuine breeder will give all information necessary privately to a prospective dog owner.

Chrissy

biblack sablegallop

Stormhead
Open
Open

Post by Stormhead on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 11:30

Yes i also agree i love knowing who has used what dog & the results but if you don't want to tell thats fair & right. Maybe if we want to know breeding we should PM the owner. I think that is what i shall do in the future.

June bluemerle goldsable goldsable
Becky
Graduate
Graduate

Post by Becky on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 12:52

Stormhead June wrote:Yes i also agree i love knowing who has used what dog & the results but if you don't want to tell thats fair & right. Maybe if we want to know breeding we should PM the owner. I think that is what i shall do in the future.

Oh June, we're so used to you asking Wink If we all pm'd the poor owner could be inundated with messages.

Becky
pepperhill
Open
Open

Post by pepperhill on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 14:47

If the owner was pm'd several times then they could decide if they want to publicly disclose the breeding of their pups.

The trouble is a stud dog's career can be irreparably damaged by an innocent remark about a problem in a litter he has sired tissue Unfortunately many people forget that puppies have TWO parents... but the sire is always the one responsible for any faults devil

Sandra
Daisyway
Open
Open

Post by Daisyway on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 15:38

Dont stop asking June. In most cases you just pre-empt what we are all thinking anyway.

In most cases we dont mind being asked but I respect what Luds is saying - if it isnt forthcoming then pm's are the answer

No problem with that at all
Daisyway
Open
Open

Post by Daisyway on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 15:41

pepperhill wrote:If the owner was pm'd several times then they could decide if they want to publicly disclose the breeding of their pups.

The trouble is a stud dog's career can be irreparably damaged by an innocent remark about a problem in a litter he has sired tissue Unfortunately many people forget that puppies have TWO parents... but the sire is always the one responsible for any faults devil

Sandra

I so agree with you Sandra - I wonder why the stud dog is always blamed in this manner. as you say it "takes two to tango" and sometimes it could be the dam.
Sometimes it is just the combination of a certain dam and sire and in the "old days" breeders just learned from the mating and didnt do it again.
No big deal! It happens!
Luds
Admin
Admin

Post by Luds on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 18:01

I don't think there's anything wrong about asking once on the forum (as some of you said it will save lots of PM's but if the owner doesn't post the breeding then we should respect the fact they obviously don't want to put it "publicly".

~~~~~~~~~~~
Luds star 
www.fleurdemai.weebly.com

Quito shadesable  Bouba  shadesable  Luna  tricolor Sandie goldsable
Karmidale
Open
Open

Post by Karmidale on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 18:18

I think we have to accept that there are two people involved when a litter is born, the first is the "breeder" and the second is the stud dog owner. Maybe the breeder has been asked not to reveal the breeding for the sake of the reputation of the stud dog and this is a very personal thing for both parties.
As long as both the breeder and the stud dog owner of any mating, whatever the breed, do it responsibly and in good faith then I personally have no issues.
Karen
Stormhead
Open
Open

Post by Stormhead on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 19:29

We must also remember it maybe a rogue gene that has slipped through several generations on both sides of the family tree, This breeding lark is not for the faint hearted Rolling Eyes maybe thats why so many peolpe are giving up.

pepperhill
Open
Open

Post by pepperhill on Sat 12 Feb 2011, 21:30

Quite agree with what you are saying. June and Karen YOU are BOTH experienced breeders, but the novice looking for advice as to which stud dog to use may well be told, "Oh no !!! don't use that dog, he throws ........ such and such......" just because perhaps one litter has shown .....such and such...... at that point the damage is done, the stud dog has the blame, and the input from the bitch is forgotten.
This is just my opinion, having owned stud dogs in the past.

Sandra
rdiamond
Open
Open

Post by rdiamond on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 21:43

I know these posts are eight months old....but i don't mind anyone asking me to publish my beloved Ellie's pedigree details! I know shes gone now to join her mum, dad and husband! Her 3 offspring maybe around somewhere? Id love to see photos of them.....Who knows they might be on here Very Happy
Shougieshel

Post by Shougieshel on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 21:59

rdiamond wrote:I know these posts are eight months old....but i don't mind anyone asking me to publish my beloved Ellie's pedigree details! I know shes gone now to join her mum, dad and husband! Her 3 offspring maybe around somewhere? Id love to see photos of them.....Who knows they might be on here Very Happy

Don`t know about her offspring Annette, but I do know that the owner of her Dad is on this Forum. Maybe you could post some of the photo`s you sent me privately of her? They are beautiful photo`s! Very Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~
Jen

SHOUGIE SHELTIES

rdiamond
Open
Open

Post by rdiamond on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 19:39

Thanks Jenny will do.............Have to say when ever i see your Avatar photo it melts my heart with your daughter and pup kissing love
Shougieshel

Post by Shougieshel on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 21:47

rdiamond wrote: Thanks Jenny will do.............Have to say when ever i see your Avatar photo it melts my heart with your daughter and pup kissing love

:lol: It`s one of my favourite photo`s Annette - that`s why I never change my Avatar!

~~~~~~~~~~~
Jen

SHOUGIE SHELTIES

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 04:47