A forum for anyone interested in shetland sheepdogs (shelties)

HERDING!!

Gio

content HERDING!!

Post by Gio on Mon 11 Jun 2007, 05:14

Both Gio and Romeo met some sheep today ... and got their Herding Instinct Certificates!!

How the test normally works is the evaluator will take the dog into a round pen with 3 sheep and judge on how they react and interact with the sheep. The evaluator took Romeo in first, and he was a little nervous.

So she took Romeo out of the pen and took Gio in. He LOVED it!

But he kept running over to the fence line to check in with me ... so I had to put the camera away and join him in the pen. Once I was in there with him, he sprang right to life and got down and dirty herding those sheep around.

I had handed Romeo off with one of the other spectators, and once he realized that Gio and I were having fun without him, he decided he wanted to try again. So after Gio's turn, we took Romeo back in with the sheep and he was a totally different dog! Running in cirlces around those sheep, barking his fool head off! Turns out there was some instinct in there after all!

After they both had their turn, we stayed to watch some of the other dogs get tested. Gio and Romeo both felt that they should be back in there with the sheep because they obviously know how to do it MUCH better than the darn Corgis! :lol!:

So Gio got to add to his growing string of titles, and Romeo earned his very first title ever!

:sablerun: :trirun:
Gio

content Re: HERDING!!

Post by Gio on Mon 11 Jun 2007, 05:16

Drat! The pictures didn't work crying

I will have to fight with them tomorrow. But right now I am having trouble keeping my eyes open ... between herding and flyball it has been a long long day!
Shadoway
Open
Open

Post by Shadoway on Mon 11 Jun 2007, 09:12

Sounds great fun. Well done to Gio and Romeo. :claps: :claps:
Shougieshel

Post by Shougieshel on Mon 11 Jun 2007, 09:29

What fantastic fun Dayna, looks like you all had a great day.
It brought to mind the time I raised three orphan lambs (for the freezer I have to confess!) when I was living in Scotland. The dogs used to chase the lambs down to the end of the garden where they all turned around and the lambs chased the dogs back up the garden. They were great pals.. :lol!:

Jen

tricolor gallop :sablerun: blue gallop
Lian
Open
Open

Post by Lian on Wed 13 Jun 2007, 10:52

Well done Dayna! Gio & Romeo are the real working sheltie!

My Sing has a very strong herding instinct too. We have tested him a couple of years ago and he did brilliantly. I am taking weekend off from agiltiy in September and going for a weekend herding training! So much looking forward to it!! :sablerun:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 17:44