A forum for anyone interested in shetland sheepdogs (shelties)

Concern regarding new members

Luds
Admin
Admin

Post by Luds on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 10:10

As you may have noticed the forum has grown from a handful of members to over 300 in 3 years making it difficult to administer. white flag help

I would like to ask for members' help in keeping it as friendly and as open as possible by PM me with problems and issues.
welcome1 welcome1 welcome1 welcome1 welcome1

Our aim is to embrace everything sheltie and the most important is sheltie welfare and the sheltie as a pet. Therefore we will not accept anyone who do not have those two points at heart. :rules:

Thank you for your help and support Wink Wink

Last edited by Luds on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 10:28; edited 2 times in total

~~~~~~~~~~~
Luds star
www.fleurdemai.weebly.com

QuitoshadesableBouba shadesableLuna tricolorSandie goldsable
SheilaR
Open
Open

Re: Concern regarding new members

Post by SheilaR on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 10:26

:claps: HERE HERE LUDS
Shelridge
Open
Open

Post by Shelridge on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 10:40

Very well said Luds. Some people can sound very plausible on the forum but not all are what they seem.

Chris
linda

Post by linda on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 10:56

Ditto Chris, as you and i both know re rehoming and rescue!!!

Linda
Serena
Limit
Limit

Post by Serena on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 11:42

If we all stick together and inform each other of unsavoury characters they won't be able to worm their way into the sheltie world - well not through us at any rate.

Post by Guest on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 12:10

cheers All we can do is try our best.

Unfortunately, there are some breeders who will supply 'unsavouries' with our beloved breed - I know, I've been there, done it , and got the T shirt too !

Definately NOT a nice situation to be in when these poor souls end up in rescue centres ( or worse ). :pale:
Serena
Limit
Limit

Post by Serena on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 12:45

I'd rather see them in rescue centers where they at least have a chance at a better life albeit small, than bred to death in terrible conditions or eaten by their kennelmates.

Post by Guest on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 12:53

Trouble is Serena, is that the rescue centre down this way that tends to get the shelties, will not allow breed rescue to help at all - they insist on neutering all their dogs ( fair enough ), BUT, they will not rehome to anyone that has unneutered dogs - even of the same sex.

We tried to get a bitch out of there before - it was like getting blood from a stone. I just hope that the right homes for shelties are found.
What happens in one instance though, is that as soon as one sheltie is given up, they go and get new stock in !!

Not all undesirables are technically puppy farms - these people can be so devious.
tiabuf
Junior
Junior

Post by tiabuf on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 15:59

I have had an awful lot of undesirables after my puppies, now I'm suspicious of everyone. I certainly didn't have this 3yrs ago when Buffy had a litter then. I even contacted The Kennel Club, who only regurgitated their legal position perhaps we have to wait for a Panorama program before they're interested!!!

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Aug 2009, 11:24

Eaten??? :pale:
We have puppy mills here too. And backyard breeders. I've seen the conditions in which they are left - breeding stock gets dumped at a shelter that I frequent. It's horrid. And you know how terrible they must have had it when the bitches start attacking puppies in the shelter.

Well, I'm not sure if many petstores or farms import dogs from the UK. Most go to Australia instead as far as I'm aware. Anyway, I'd be happy to do checks on anyone here. I'm experienced in conducting due diligence (no thanks to my line of work)!
elaine.r
Open
Open

Post by elaine.r on Wed 26 Aug 2009, 11:43

I know it's frustrating Nina and we wouldn't deal in the same way as the rescue centre you are talking about, but I agree with Serena that it's preferrable to see any unloved sheltie in rescue than involved in unsavoury breeding practices - at least they do their best to find good homes for them don't they? I admire anyone involved in dog rescue really - it's a thankless and unending task. Thankfully there seem few of our breed who find themselves in this position compared to other breeds like cavvies and staffies crying

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Aug 2009, 12:55

Obviously it's better that they are found good homes Elaine, BUT, it makes it very easy for people to just give them in and then just go out and buy 'new stock' in again - and so the vicious circle continues.

Perhaps if a little more care or research was done when some pups are sold , then the poor shelties wouldn't have to go through this regime in the first place. I have seen it happen so many times - and they always end up with new shelties to show / breed.
elaine.r
Open
Open

Post by elaine.r on Wed 26 Aug 2009, 13:16

Who do these people buy their 'stock' from Nina, it seems incredible to me that any reputable breeder would let their pup go before home checking or at least taking references. I know it's not always easy to get the right picture of a prospective owner - maybe I'm just a bit naive when it comes to breeding never having been involved myself. :silent:

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Aug 2009, 13:35

Like I said before though, not all 'unsuitable' homes are technically puppy farms - and people can be quite convincing. Wink

Without prior knowledge of any new home, there may always be a chance of things not working out and going to plan and i know that most breeders would help out in the rehoming if the need arose.

Trouble is, when a dog ends up in a private rescue, the original breeder would not informed.

I'm glad I'm not breeding too - it could be quite a nightmare to find good homes. :yesyes:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 22:50