A forum for anyone interested in shetland sheepdogs (shelties)

Sheep Herding

Lian
Open
Open

Sheep Herding

Post by Lian on Mon 25 Feb 2008, 08:08

We went to "Sheep Herding Instinct" training day on Saturday, it was very cold out in the country air. I enjoyed my day very much! This was just a "taster" day, just to see if the dogs are interested in the sheep, so there was no skill or handling involved, just let the dogs do what they want to do and the sheep were very good. I have a go with both Sing and Saturn. Sing was first up but he didn't show much interest in the sheep, I think this is because we kept telling him not to chase the sheep when we go out walking. He did look at the sheep a few times but was so obedient that he knew he can't chase them at all. I let Saturn have a go the second round and he was very keen on the sheep when he went near the pen, he got so hyper when he saw the other dogs working on the sheep. I treated that as a good sign and I was right. He was a very good boy, did the shelties very proud. I have the videos of both Sing and Saturn but they were very long and I struggled to upload the videos, I need to learn how to compress them. I have captured a few shots from the videos (so the quality is very poor) but just to show you how we work.

This picture shows Saturn moving the sheep:

and this picture show a sheep decided he wants to leave the others and Saturn went to get him back and he was a very good boy and managed to get them back in a group without harming them:
elaine.r
Open
Open

Re: Sheep Herding

Post by elaine.r on Mon 25 Feb 2008, 09:08

:claps: Wow Lian that looks really interesting. Where was the day held? Are you going to pursue it?
Elaine
Mistvale
Open
Open

Post by Mistvale on Mon 25 Feb 2008, 09:53

I'll second what Elaine has said - that really looks very interesting.

Cath
Shougieshel

Post by Shougieshel on Mon 25 Feb 2008, 10:04

Very interesting Lian, something I would love to try when I have some time to myself....

~~~~~~~~~~~
Jen

SHOUGIE SHELTIES

Shelridge
Open
Open

Post by Shelridge on Mon 25 Feb 2008, 10:05

Clever Saturn! We are proud of him. I'm not sure if his sister, Hester would be so clever.

Chris
sheltisha
Open
Open

Post by sheltisha on Mon 25 Feb 2008, 10:18

Well done Saturn. This dog is so talented you must be so proud of him.

Theresa
Lian
Open
Open

Post by Lian on Mon 25 Feb 2008, 10:28

The training day was held at Dial Post, West Sussex. The trainer was an Internationally renowned handler Ros Edwards. She was very pleased to see Saturn, a sheltie can work sheep. Yes, I am going to persue further with him, I will do a 6 weeks course to start with and then take it on from there!!
burnmist
Open
Open

Sheep Herding

Post by burnmist on Fri 23 May 2008, 22:55

Just having a scroll through the topics and was interested in Saturn and his sheep herding. The couple who introduced us to the sheltie clubs and showing, Betty and Geoff Temple ( Affix Millhay) went into sheep herding and sheep training They go all over the country doing it unfortunately they have no shelties now only working borders The shelties loved working the sheep. There are quite a few sheltie people whose shelties work sheep as well as showing.. Did you do your 6 week course with Saturn Lian?

Annette
Lian
Open
Open

Post by Lian on Sat 24 May 2008, 19:03

burnmist wrote:Just having a scroll through the topics and was interested in Saturn and his sheep herding. The couple who introduced us to the sheltie clubs and showing, Betty and Geoff Temple ( Affix Millhay) went into sheep herding and sheep training They go all over the country doing it unfortunately they have no shelties now only working borders The shelties loved working the sheep. There are quite a few sheltie people whose shelties work sheep as well as showing.. Did you do your 6 week course with Saturn Lian?

Annette

Unfortunately the trainer postponed the 6 weeks course to later date and it clashes with the new agility season. I chosen agility but poor Saturn has been poorly for a while, so no agility or anything for him for a while but I will definitely do some sheep herding course in the winter months. Saturn just loved sheep. We went to Wales last weekend and the B&B owner has a flock of sheep and we had a go, Boy! He was a good boy, he didn't hurt the sheep and he round the sheep beautifully!! I was amazed!
burnmist
Open
Open

Sheep Herding

Post by burnmist on Sat 24 May 2008, 22:58

Hi Lian

Sorry to hear Saturn is still poorly. Thanks for your reply and hope you will be able to do sheep herding course in the winter.

Annette
sensata
Graduate
Graduate

Post by sensata on Tue 11 May 2010, 13:54

Cool Lian. Ros should be very good. i wanna try him out too. just to see how my girls get on with sheeps. more a fun thing to do something different.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 17:38