A forum for anyone interested in shetland sheepdogs (shelties)

A Sheltie has been found

dellasmum
Puppy
Puppy

Re: A Sheltie has been found

Post by dellasmum on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 18:02

Thanks Alison. 

Yes they do organise home checks but you have to visit first!
The Blue Cross took vet references when we adopted Miska but we still had to make the initial visit and then a second to collect her.  I think they may have let her go on the first if Phil had been with me but he was at work.
I dispair sometimes I know they have to do their best for the dog and they don't want negative publicity but it seems too much in some cases.

We have had rescue and rehomed dogs for the last 20years!  I suppose we haven't got enough experience!!
sheltiereg
Limit
Limit

Post by sheltiereg on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 20:41

You have my sympathy Carolyn, I have been strung along and then let down by several rescue centres when all I wanted to do was give a forever home to the poor dog, and like you I have also had shelties for at least thirty years.

good luck

Reg
mollyabbi
Graduate
Graduate

Post by mollyabbi on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 21:20

Thinking of you and hope rules,regulations and visits can be done so the little dog Willy  can have a loving home .   all the best.
You must have enough experience in fact 20 yrs. is enough reference on its own.
Lets hope the weekend brings good news.
Margaret   Megan sablegallop  and Skye  blue gallop
rdiamond
Open
Open

Post by rdiamond on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 23:44

unbelievable  really?
Mistvale
Open
Open

Post by Mistvale on Fri 20 Jun 2014, 08:36

Hope there's some good news very soon Carolyn.
Shougieshel

Post by Shougieshel on Fri 20 Jun 2014, 09:25

From what the Animal welfare officer told me, it will probably be a good two weeks before he will be able to go. They will be neutering him first and doing assessments for suitability for rehoming. Vaccinations as well I imagine. Unfortunately he is in the "system", so their procedures will just have to run their course.
Fingers crossed, he will be on his way home with you before too long.  Very Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~
Jen

SHOUGIE SHELTIES

dellasmum
Puppy
Puppy

Post by dellasmum on Fri 20 Jun 2014, 15:11

Jen was it Angel the dog warden you spoke to?  She told me much the same.

I have had a reply to my email.  We will have to visit and be interviewed.  They could possibly bring him on the home visit to meet the two that can't travel BUT we would have to go back to the rescue after the home visit to collect him!  They will travel test him as well.  I don't mind if he's car sick We can deal with that.  I don't mind if he is incontinent, deaf, has a heart murmur etc.

They are going to keep me informed which is promising.

Carolyn
burnmist
Open
Open

Post by burnmist on Fri 20 Jun 2014, 21:52

Hope you have some good news soon Carolyn

Annette
Skyeblue
Limit
Limit

Post by Skyeblue on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 00:04

What amazes me about some rescue centres is how they can be so diverse in that some will re-home a bull breed cross with unknown background to a family with very young children  scared2  scared2 as sadly has been seen on the news with very sad consequences in the past.

Then others will keep something as innocuous as a Sheltie locked up in procedure when a new experienced home with existing Shelties is readily available  confused  confused 

No wish to offend just my opinion.
rdiamond
Open
Open

Post by rdiamond on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 00:49

An opinion so true Nicola (well I agree with you)Wink      .......    seems to be the norm for everything!
sheltiereg
Limit
Limit

Post by sheltiereg on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 07:20

Sadly, common sense is in very short supply these days and we all suffer for the sake of the few who don't know how to, or don't want to, behave responsibly.

Reg
Chrissy
Limit
Limit

Post by Chrissy on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 07:26

Different rescue centres have different rules, either way they seem to make rescuing an animal more difficult than adopting a baby crying  as we have experienced in the past 
I wonder  thinking if they have regulations they have to abide by, which over rules common sense?

Also I think if he has to be neutured at his age its going to knock him about even more

Chrissy

dellasmum
Puppy
Puppy

Post by dellasmum on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 10:56

Thank you all for your support.  I hope we will have good news this week.  I will be phoning the centre while we are on holiday in Devon.

I agree with your comments Nicola.  Is that why many people give up with rescue and go to a breeder who maybe doesn't ask questions.  they then can't cope and the dog ends up in rescue.  A very sorry state of affairs.  I hope this little chap is in a foster home.

Will be back here next week with hopefully good news.

Carolyn.
Claire C
Junior
Junior

Post by Claire C on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 19:52

Fingers crossed, just so long and drawn out, poor little chap, surely it'd be better for him to be in a home and settled before even thinking about neutering him, he maybe of the character that he doesn't need to be, I'm sure in an experienced home such as this he would be much happier!  madangry  madangry  madangry  madangry  madangry
Skyeblue
Limit
Limit

Post by Skyeblue on Sun 22 Jun 2014, 22:07

I also think that neutering him at this point in his life is a little brutal,  duh  he hardly looks a brave over confident chap  affraid  and I just wonder if taking his little man bits away might rob him of that extra little bit of confidence that he may need  affraid  affraid plus looking at the state of his coat which of course a really good groom and bath would help but the little man bits have a baring on it too in my opinion  thinking 

One size chop all  madangry  madangry is not always necessary in my opinion

Post by Guest on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 13:19

I agree  tissue

dellasmum
Puppy
Puppy

Post by dellasmum on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 18:19

unfortunately all rescues seem to neuter regardless.  I am OK with it but what bugs me is that they expect all the dogs in the home to be neutered.  Why when the new one has been done?

sitting here in hotel in Ilfracombe looking over the harbour.  Beautiful blue sea, sun shining, very warm, seagulls calling.  Bliss.

Will be phoning the rescue tomorrow.
julia
Limit
Limit

Post by julia on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 18:50

Hoping this poor little dog gets the loving home he deserves - but what a shame nothing has been found out about his previous owner and how he came to be in these circumstances.
If only they could talk!
Julia
Skyeblue
Limit
Limit

Post by Skyeblue on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 22:09

dellasmum wrote:unfortunately all rescues seem to neuter regardless.  I am OK with it but what bugs me is that they expect all the dogs in the home to be neutered.  Why when the new one has been done?

sitting here in hotel in Ilfracombe looking over the harbour.  Beautiful blue sea, sun shining, very warm, seagulls calling.  Bliss.

Will be phoning the rescue tomorrow.
Gosh that feeling and sensation brings back memories of when hubby and I rescued an old Sheltie boy, our Shandy.  love 
He went into Dogs Trust rescue somewhere up in Scotland the name escapes me, after no joy at finding him a home they brought him down to their Shrewsbury centre. 

We saw him on line, a sad fat big/little chap, he had lumps and bumps of unpleasant type and congestive heart failure. He was 11 years approx.
We took him on as a full foster with medical bills paid for by Dogs Trust.

When we got him the girls we had at the time loved him. He had a massive grooming session and we got enough coat out of him to knit another dog.  shock 

He was an odd chap, he'd take his chew toys up the garden and bury them, he'd get a bit frisky with the girls and they put him in his place, he was already neutered but that didn't stop the twinkle in his eye  Wink  Wink 

He was not the sort that you could really really get close too, he'd had too many homes before us I think.

Anyway we got his weight down big time and he got to love just pottering about in the fields near our house. He learned to love his walks but boy did he take his time, everything had to be pee'd against.

He enjoyed several caravan trips and dipped his toes in the water at Widemouth Bay several times, he enjoyed a jolly at Colyton in Devon too and pinched a chicken wing of the bbq.

We had him for just less than 2 years, I came downstairs one winters morn to find he had passed away in front of my woodburner and all of the girls were asleep around him  tissue 

He was an odd chap but I like to think his last near 2 years were happy for him  star
fernfarm
Graduate
Graduate

Post by fernfarm on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 07:38

Thanks for that  story about Shandy, I like a good tear jerker 1st thing in the morning. tissue  cheers
glennieblue
Open
Open

Post by glennieblue on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 08:04

yes me to June,especially at the moment.Skyblue you mentioned widemouth bay we are taking Channon there in October,hope it is as nice as it looks.
glennieblue

dellasmum
Puppy
Puppy

Post by dellasmum on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 08:16

A happy but sad tail to get us going in the morning.  It is wonderful to give an oldie a home even if only for a short time.

Fingers crossed for this little chap.  I hope i have good news today.

carolyn
Skyeblue
Limit
Limit

Post by Skyeblue on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 12:32

glennieblue wrote:yes me to June,especially at the moment.Skyblue you mentioned widemouth bay we are taking Channon there in October,hope it is as nice as it looks.
glennieblue
It's lovely, we've been there loads of times.
You can't take the dogs on the main beach you can only use Black Rock but it's still lovely there too
peartbrooklass
Limit
Limit

Post by peartbrooklass on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 13:27

I don't think anything beats the thrill of rescuing a dog & turning it around. We have had many rescue dogs here over the years (mostly Rough Collies) Some have stayed, others have gone on to new lovely homes. Our latest is a tiny Yorkie who came from a puppy farm and to watch her change & develop is priceless! When the fur grew back on her ears, nose & tail I was over the moon....such a silly little thing maybe but it just proved what a little TLC can do.
rdiamond
Open
Open

Post by rdiamond on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 00:52

Wo Nicola ..... lovely story but brought a tear  crying

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 17:47