A forum for anyone interested in shetland sheepdogs (shelties)

FOUND male sheltie - South Yorkshire

Linda Whittington
Open
Open

Re: FOUND male sheltie - South Yorkshire

Post by Linda Whittington on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 22:57

I wondered that, but Harvey is 10 and I'm pretty sure has a white blaze.
Shelridge
Open
Open

Post by Shelridge on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 06:32

Sadly this dog looks nothing like Harvey. I do hope his owner is found, or if not that he will have a wonderful new home - he looks a charming chap.

Chris
Shougieshel

Post by Shougieshel on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 09:19

Possibly a strange observation to make - vbut does anyone else think his paws look very tidy?? Unless he has naturally short hair on his feet, they look like they have been trimmed not too long ago! Wonder if it is wothwhile asking around any pet grooming parlours in the area if they know the dog?? Possibly check the underside of the feet to see if they have been trimmed.
My shelties all look like shire horses if I don`t trim the feet!

~~~~~~~~~~~
Jen

SHOUGIE SHELTIES

sheltiereg
Limit
Limit

Post by sheltiereg on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 09:54

He can share my home with the nine other boys if his owners can't be found.

best wishes
Reg.
Daisyway
Open
Open

Post by Daisyway on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:31

I am wondering if he is microchipped but it isnt working.

There was a batch around that time that failed. I am going to have Jack's checked and he is 18 months old nearly. DeeDee had to have her's redone. This has spurred me into action.

I also sold two dog puppies around that time to people in Yorkshire so it makes you think doesnt it. Of course you imagine they would be in touch if they did go missing.

Post by Guest on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 12:00

Shougieshel wrote:Possibly a strange observation to make - vbut does anyone else think his paws look very tidy?? Unless he has naturally short hair on his feet, they look like they have been trimmed not too long ago! Wonder if it is wothwhile asking around any pet grooming parlours in the area if they know the dog?? Possibly check the underside of the feet to see if they have been trimmed.
My shelties all look like shire horses if I don`t trim the feet!

that is exactly what I said on FB last night Jen Wink
Karmidale
Open
Open

Post by Karmidale on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 12:01

He looks delightful, bless him. I do hope he is reunited with his family soon.
Shougieshel

Post by Shougieshel on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 13:24

nina wrote:

that is exactly what I said on FB last night Jen Wink

Didn`t see that post Nina!! white flag

~~~~~~~~~~~
Jen

SHOUGIE SHELTIES

peartbrooklass
Limit
Limit

Post by peartbrooklass on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 13:31

Is he listed on Doglost as a found dog? He looks a lovely boy, at least he is safe now. I could do with another sable......!(BH might kill me tho'!!)
peartbrooklass
Limit
Limit

Post by peartbrooklass on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 13:34

peartbrooklass wrote:Is he listed on Doglost as a found dog? He looks a lovely boy, at least he is safe now. I could do with another sable......!(BH might kill me tho'!!)

Silly me - should've rechecked DogLost first, I can now see him listed.

Lindsay
Open
Open

Post by Lindsay on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 16:40

I also thought his feet looked as though they had only just been trimmed,
I just assumed the rescue centre had done it thinking

I had to have two of my Sheltie's microchips checked because they were from a batch (or batches ? )
found to have "Functionality Issues" luckily both were OK.

Lindsay
susan
Limit
Limit

Post by susan on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 17:07

I recieved a letter,a few months ago as the batch that Sparky had had problems with "functionality issues ", we had his microchip checked , it was fine.( he's almost 22 months ). The sheltie on the phto does not look very old.

This may be the problem with the lost sheltie.

I have read recently that he isn't toilet trained,won't go on a leader, and barks and howls all the time. he looked so gentle on the phto, and loving.
I can see the point that some of you have noticed, is that his feet are tidy and look trimmed.On the other hand his coat is so matted, is now showing stress signs of howling.its hard to tell if he has been neglected, or recently got spoked and ran away. Unless the sheltie is being looked after by someone else,if the owner is away, I would of thought that someone would be trying to find him by now, it al seems so odd.
Just hope he can settle into a lovely new forever home, if he isn't retuened to his owners.
Susan and Shelties
Hillhenry
Puppy
Puppy

Post by Hillhenry on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 19:30

Things have now taken a bit of a desperate turn for our little chap.

I received a message from the surgery today to say that he had been sent to the kennels. When I spoke to them I was told he howled and barked constantly so reluctantly, he was sent to the kennels. I am told the nurses had fallen in love with him are were not happy that he was in kennels.

They also said to me that this boy, in their opinion, has had no training whatsoever. He had no idea where to toilet; did not understand anything that he was asked to do or not do and freaked when taken out on a lead to toilet. They did say to me that the lady from Sheltie rescue (who I spoke to at length last night) had called and had also spoken to the dog warden.

I have spoken with Mrs Butler from Sheltie rescue, this evening. He is to stay in kennels for the next seven days and then he can be claimed, at which time Sheltie rescue will step in to see what can be done. Mrs Butler's thinking is that whoever takes this boy on should be fully briefed and prepared for the hard work and patience that this dear boy is going to need.

I have a feeling this boy's owner is not going to come forward, which means that this is now a plea for anyone who thinks they can help to either get in touch with me or with Mrs Butler. I have had many people contact me to say they will take this boy on if he is not claimed, however they must be prepared to work with him and that it will not be easy.

Thank you all. I do hope we can help this boy. The love he has for people is amazing and he has touched my heart

sheltiereg
Limit
Limit

Post by sheltiereg on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 21:00

Perhaps the original owners don't want him back if they were having trouble with his behaviour.
Definitely needs patience and understanding and possibly company of other shelties.

Reg
Hillhenry
Puppy
Puppy

Post by Hillhenry on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 22:38

It is possible that his owner may have been located. I will know more tomorrow.
Shadoway
Open
Open

Post by Shadoway on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 23:27

Hillhenry wrote:It is possible that his owner may have been located. I will know more tomorrow.

Poor little fellow.
linda

Post by linda on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 00:53

Isnt it a shame that if this little fellow has got an owner, that they havnt taken the time to house train him or get him used to a collar and lead. I wonder if he has been on the run for a while those simple things that we have all taught our own dogs have been lost by him temporarily through the stress of being on the run?

If he is available for rehoming, i have a lovely home waiting for another sheltie,

Linda
(Suffolk Rescue Ref)
evita0_8
Open
Open

Post by evita0_8 on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 09:26

I keep checking on here hoping to see the owner has been found, but at least by the sound of all the comments on here he will find a home soon.

Denise

Post by Guest on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:47

Just read on FB that the the owner has NOT been found - Kim Mc lintock had thought it was one of her breeding, but it turns out now that it seems not .

She had made contact with the owners of the dog she thought it may have been , they are on hols and their two boys are in kennels, hence they thought one of them may have escaped, but both of them are still with the kennels.

so, it seems it is a complete mystery as to where he has come from and why he was out and about.

such a shame that the vets had to send him to the kennels - hope to God that the official sheltie rescue DO get him after 7 days - I'm sure there will be many knowledgable homes that will take him on .

evita0_8
Open
Open

Post by evita0_8 on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:58

Was wandering if he was used as a stud dog at a puppy farm tissue and wasn't willing to do the job so they just let him go. If I lost one of my dogs every vet and rescue centre would know about it. Hopefully I am wrong and the owners will soon get the news that he has been found.

Denise
Shadoway
Open
Open

Post by Shadoway on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 17:17

Considering the information which has been posted about this little fellow, it's possibly better if the owner is not found!
Hillhenry
Puppy
Puppy

Post by Hillhenry on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 18:46

Latest update on our mystery dog:-

I have spoken to the dog warden at length today. He confirmed to me that legally they must keep the dog in kennels, after which time he is up for adoption and basically, in his words "first come, first served". He did say he has a couple of people that may want to adopt him. To his credit he did sound like a caring man and having the little man destroyed was far from his mind.

He said he is definitely not trained, has never been on a lead, is dreadfully frightened and toilets in his bed. I asked if he thought this could be stress related that he is fouling his bed. He says not. He seems to not know anything - he didnt even know how to react to another dog. He just looked at them.

I asked if their procedure is to do some kind of home checks and he said not. Basically the kennel staff assess people and see from that if they are suitable.

I have spoke to Sheltie Rescue who, like me, have to wait the mandatory seven days (I believe this will take us into Tuesday/Wednesday of next week) after which time she will consult her list of people waiting to adopt to see if they are suitable. The sad realism here is this is a dog that is going to need a lot of work, a lot of patience and someone with a lot of experience with rehabilitation. What concerns me is that someone takes him, is unsuitable and he ends up back in kennels, or worse!

I am hoping to go to the kennels to see him over the weekend or the beginning of next week. I also said I would keep in touch with the dog warden.

I have been innundated with potential adopters but, at the moment, it is out of our hands until next week, but if anyone wants to give me a call with any ideas please feel free. I am in the Yorkshire book or you can PM me.

This little man has given me the fire and passion that I want to protect and rescue my beloved breed that I have been lucky enough to spend the majority of my life with.
Claire N

Post by Claire N on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 19:07

I sincerely hope the kennels will see the logic in allowing people with sheltie knowledge and experience being the more suitable new owners of this little chap.

Claire
Mistvale
Open
Open

Post by Mistvale on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 19:25

Shelties do adapt very quickly with love and attention, We once rescued a blind chap at 13 years old who had been abandoned, he cocked his leg up everywhere in the house, took him about 5/6 days to settle and he was fine. How I wish this little chap finds a forever home.
seashel
Open
Open

Post by seashel on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 22:10

This is such a sad tale. I feel so sorry for the little chap and especially so if he has indeed come from some sort of puppy farm tissue

I still wonder though if his behaviour is due to the stress of being lost and kept somewhere strange. It must be a terrifying ordeal for him and if he's come from a quiet home and been lost for a while it could mean he has simply 'shut down'. I hope someone experienced with shelties is able to meet him before any desicions are made. Keeping everything crossed it works out for him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jul 2017, 17:47